Seton Hall University could be forced to release report on handling of sex abuse allegations — By: Catholic News Agency

Seton Hall University could be forced to release a long‑hidden investigation into clergy sexual abuse at the Catholic institution’s seminary and the university’s handling of it.

The controversy centers on the so-called “Latham report,” a years-old inquiry commissioned by the school itself amid the fallout of bombshell abuse allegations against now-disgraced and deceased former cardinal Theodore McCarrick.

Attorney Gabriel Magee represents several Church abuse victims as part of “approximately 400 cases total” in a consolidated litigation against the Archdiocese of Newark, New Jersey. Seton Hall is a defendant in a handful of the cases, he told EWTN News.

As part of those proceedings, state judge Avion Benjamin had ordered the school in November 2025 to turn over the Latham report to lawyers representing victims of clergy abuse. The school had previously argued that the report was protected by attorney-client privilege.

Seton Hall appealed Benjaminʼs order to surrender the report. Oral arguments were held in the appeals court this month.

The Latham report was commissioned by Seton Hall in 2019. Produced by the law firm Latham & Watkins, it has never been made public. The report is expected to examine whether Monsignor Joseph Reilly, then rector of Seton Hall’s Immaculate Conception Seminary (and now university president), knew about abuse claims and failed to report them. Reilly was appointed president in 2024.

Neither the school nor attorneys representing it responded to requests for comment on the ongoing litigation. Magee, meanwhile, disputed claims that the report is protected by legal shields such as the attorney-client privilege or the “work-product privilege.”

“For either to apply, the primary purpose must either be conveying legal advice or it must have been created in anticipation of litigation,” Magee said.

“But the record here shows instead that the Latham Report was created for self-critical analysis by Seton Hall, primarily to determine how to discipline employees who failed to report the sexual harassment and sexual abuse committed by McCarrick and to advise [the school] on how to create new policies to prevent this from happening again,” he said.

Magee said the appeal to the higher court had been expedited, suggesting the court may issue a ruling “sooner rather than later.”

Newark Archdiocese ordered investigation in 2025

Amid the ongoing controversy, Newark archbishop Cardinal Joseph Tobin in February 2025 ordered an independent review.

The prelate said at the time that the review would examine “how the findings of [the earlier reports] relate to Monsignor Joseph Reilly, including whether they were communicated to any and all appropriate personnel at the archdiocese and Seton Hall University and Monsignor Reilly, and if so, by what means and by whom.”

The archbishop said he had not “place[d] a timetable” on the review, which was being carried out by the law firm Ropes & Gray.

Tobin in 2025 had further said that he had not “restricted the firm from exploring any relevant facts or avenue of investigation.”

“A transparent review of the facts will best serve the interests of all involved and of those who have voiced a call for it,” the cardinal said.

In a statement to EWTN News, the Archdiocese of Newark indicated that the review was still ongoing as of May 20.

“Cardinal Tobin stands by his earlier statement that there should be no restrictions on Ropes & Gray’s efforts to access all relevant information and witnesses,” the archdiocese said.

The cardinal “remains committed to a transparent examination of the facts and is optimistic that the review will be completed as expeditiously as possible,” the statement added.

Read More